Dr. Frank A Fleming
1978 - 1981
Leeds University, U.K.
1974 - 1978
De Montford University, U.K.
Ph.D. Solid State Proton Conduction
B.Sc. Honors Applied Chemistry
Principal Partner, EAI Grid Storage (EAIGS), 2019 – Present
• Provide battery system design for grid energy storage in support of EAIGS affiliate of Electric Applications Incorporated
Business Development, Electric Applications Inc. (EAI), 2017 – Present
• Responsible for new business development and electrochemical/technical support.
• Technical management of Lead Battery Science Research Program performing basic science research in conjunction with the Argonne national Laboratory.
Chief Technical Officer, NorthStar Batteries (NSB), 2000 – 2016
• One of the co-founders of NSB and served as its Chief Technical Officer for 16-years. NSB manufactures advanced lead-acid batteries for telecommunication, UPS and transportation applications.
• Provide overall strategic and technical direction for NSB.
• Responsible for the technical design and integrity of NSB products.
Global Director of Standby Development, Hawker Batteries, 1998 – 2000
• Responsible for the strategic and technical direction of Hawker Batteries standby products for manufacturing facilities in Europe and US.
Technical Director, Hawker Energy Products Inc. US, 1995 – 1998
• Member of acquisition team purchasing US based manufacturing facility and building a $25m extension.
• Responsible for the redesign of existing product range in order to improve manufacturability, quality and reliability.
Technical Director, Hawker Energy Products Ltd. UK, 1989 – 1995
• Relocation of the manufacturing facility from London to Newport, UK.
• Ensuring product integrity and quality during transition and growth periods.
• Introduction of new manufacturing processes and fundamental R&D.
• Technical support for all sales functions including batteries for civil and military aviation.
Product & Process Development Manager, Chloride Automotive Batteries Ltd. UK, 1986 – 1999
• Product & process development – including the design and implementation of a new rapid infrared thermal sensing formation process.
• Responsible for the electrochemical design of the product. This resulted in the development of a computer-based expert system to design new product and optimize existing designs.
Applied Scientist, Chloride Technical Ltd., UK, 1981 – 1986
• Research Scientist. Part of an R&D program in association with Salford University and the Danish Energy Research Laboratory, studying secondary lithium batteries. This work resulted in the development of a Lithium/PEO/V6O13 secondary button cell.
• Member of a team of on-site 'trouble-shooters' whose role were to resolve local processing problems and to understand the unique electrochemical phenomena that plagued the Chloride VRLA product. During this time I spent extended periods working in the South African and US manufacturing facilities.
• Research Scientist investigating the fundamentals of valve regulated lead-acid batteries.
• The Gassing Behavior of Lead-Acid Negative Active Material and Development of a Quality Control Test for Lead Oxide Purity - Journal of Power Sources, 24 (1988) 127-136
• The Effect of Tin on the Positive Active Material-Grid Interface in Maintenance Free Batteries - Power Sources, 13 (1991) 25-33
• Thermal Management of VRLA Batteries using Phase Change Material - Proceedings of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (1994)
• Thermal Management for Hybrid Electric Vehicle VRLA Batteries - EVS 12 (1994) 27-37
• EV Battery Life Extension in Field Testing - SAE 970243 (1997)
• The Use of Lead-Tin Alloys in VRLA Batteries for Extreme Telecommunication Applications - INTELEC 9-3 (1997)
• Making Better Use of Parallel Battery Strings at Solar Sites by the Inclusion of a Simple Monitoring Module - INTELEC 10-1 (1998)
• Rapid Recharge Capability of VRLA Batteries for EV and HEV Applications - Journal of Power Sources 78 (1999) 237-243
• Float Life Verification of a VRLA Battery Utilizing a High Purity Electrochemical System - INTELEC 3-3 (1999)
• 2018 International Lead Award for outstanding lifetime contribution to the lead battery industry and his role inspiring new generations of lead battery innovators